Saturday, June 27, 2009

t minus 4 days

Soon I will embark on a journey across the northern tier of states, and Ontario in a re-generation of trust cycle. In other words, I'm getting my 235 lbs of hulk on a bike and riding across America and Canada! Among my goals is to encourage frozen hearts and pocket-books to loosen to the needs of others, returning to past patterns of generosity and attitudes to "those who need it more than we do."

My chosen charities for this journey are (more details to come on how to help on future blog posts):

The American Heart Association
http://www.americanheart.org/

The National Alliance for Mental Illness
http://www.nami.org/

World Vision
http://www.worldvision.org/

Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
http://www.jdrf.org/

I hope that during this passage you will "ride along with me" in actuality or in spirit, and that you may from time-to-time check in with me on this blog to push me along as I (slowly!) chart my progress across the continent.

For those of you who know me well, you might understand well why I am choosing to do this journey. For those of you who may not know me quite as well, perhaps the idea is less clear. Above all, I seek to re-discover that bright, giving and regenerative part of America which has been so badly battered recently through our epoch of war, neglect, greed, selfishness, and entitlement which has for many resulted in a sense of loss and insufficiency as they struggle to regain their sense of purpose in a disjointed society. It is my hope to meet people from all walks of life along this journey with an open heart and to learn as much as I can about them, and relate, from time-to-time their stories and passions.

1 comment:

  1. Lee,

    What you are doing is inspiring. I appreciate the fact that you have included the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation since my dad had juvenile onset diabetes and suffered through the illness later in life.

    As we Quakers say, I will hold you in the light.

    God's speed!

    Allen Stockbridge

    ReplyDelete