Thursday, August 13, 2009

Day 38 Mentor to Cass Lake, MN 8/12/09




Day 38 Mentor to Cass Lake, MN 8/12/09

81 miles
1764 total miles

Today was mid way point, at least as far as miles go, I am halfway to my Maine destination. As proof of that attainment, I crossed the Mighty Mississippi today, on the segment of its headwaters where it flows out of Lake Itasca to Lake Bemidji. I rode as far as my sister-in-law Sherry's house in Cass Lake on the Leech Lake Ojibwe Reservation. Sherry has an excellent home on 42 acres in the woods next to a small pond at the end of a long sandy driveway. Ahh privacy! Planning on staying here for a rest day and some good cooking, wild rice and some reading down-time with a good new book by Gerald Vizenor, "The People Named the Chippewa" which recounts narrative histories of some of the local people.

No comments:

Post a Comment